Thursday, February 9, 2012

To My First True Love

I'll never forget your freckled face mainly because it reminds me of this freckled face:


I remember your fiery red hair and you being extremely tall and lanky for a kid your age. You were my number one admirer and never made a secret of it.  The entire class knew and as if that were not enough your love notes were quite clear on the matter.   "I love you.  Do you love me? Circle yes or no."  I always circled no. 

I spent much of that year red faced and trying to run from you.  Your Valentines cards were completely over the top.  As a matter of fact, they were probably the very thing that ended this one sided romance. 

I snapped one day and took your notes to the teacher explaining that it had to stop.  I wish I could remember my exact words to her.  I am sure it was a conversation she did not soon forget and one she was quick to share with her other teacher friends.  Oh my goodness, who is the red-faced kid in the class now?

I never knew if it was your fear of the teacher or your anger towards me or maybe both, but almost instantly your undying love ...died.

So nearly 43 years later, Stephen,  I hope that at some point in your life you found your true love.  I hope she cherished your love notes and never turned them in to the teacher.  And I sincerely hope you were able to forgive the one who did not appreciate your admiration those many many years ago in elementary school.   

Happy Valentines Day, Stephen.        

No comments:

Post a Comment